Thursday, February 2, 2012


Peacocks: Beauty or Nuisance?



After looking through a number of documentaries and informational videos on YouTube regarding the peacock, I came across many that asked this exact question. For the peacocks that have been taken out of their natural habitat and placed in residential areas, many have had to ask themselves whether these vivaciously colored birds are overwhelmingly beautiful creatures or nuisances to to the neighborhood. As the video explains, the peacocks in Palos Verdes, California are not native to the area and were in fact brought over in 1924 from the Catalina Island as a gift from the island's owners. While there are a few residents that see the animal as aesthetically pleasing and as an animal they can enjoy living amongst, a majority of PV's residents see the bird as annoying, loud and intrusive. I myself am more partial to the side that sees the beauty of the Peacock not only because I am a lover of all animals, but also because I grew up with a Peacock until the age of 3. Which side do you guys think you would be on? Do you think the drivers who at times run over the peacocks are justified when they say they are "just birds"? What could be done to create peace between the angry residents and the peacocks that live in PV?

2 comments:

  1. I grew up near the LA County Arboretum & Botanic Garden and these guys would escape and wonder all around the neighborhoods! While they are beautiful creatures, some can be temperamental. I was nannying and took the baby outside for a walk in her stroller, we must have gotten to close to it cause it started chasing us! A little bit scary....but still beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You bring up really good points in this article! I also grew up around peacocks when I was younger--there were at least 20 that lived in my grandparents' neighborhood. We'd come to their house and see 10 peacocks sitting on the front porch!! While I think they add beauty to the environment, their noise was definitely a nuisance. I am also curious about their effects on the local ecosystems. Since they're all foreign birds, do they disrupt the natural food chains in those areas? They seem to be able to live in a variety of climates, if they're from Asia originally, and thrive in both California and Texas (where I'm from).

    ReplyDelete